Sunday, March 8, 2015

Dear Sweet Friend

Years ago, when I was in my 20's I met a really tender hearted, kind, soft spoken woman during my counseling internship. Years, later we bump into each other again and share a social circle. This woman is strong, courageous, virtuous and so intelligent. She has a genuine way about her. Her family is amazing. I am blessed to know her and hope our lives stay connected forever.

Please see her beautifully composed letter. I got chills when I read it. I love how her experience and perspective varies from mine as a younger lady a decade or more ago.

Thank you dear Angela for extending out of your comfort zone and contributing. You have a gift with words and a gift with heart! Love you lady!

*****



Dear Sweet Friend,


My advice: slow down.


I know your twenties are breathtaking! It’s all there before you, spread out like so many glistening stones in a clear pond—degrees to be earned, fulfilling work to accomplish, friendships to develop, hobbies to pursue, homes to nurture, places to travel, partners to embrace, children to cherish. I know it calls to you, beckons you to do it all, have it all, be it all. And you should! Take every advantage and opportunity to grow, to travel, to love!


But while you’re chasing your dreams, I would ask that you slow down to a walk, or perhaps even a stroll, and notice what’s there along the way. That book you desperately want but don’t have time to read, the one that’s spent months harkening to you from your bedside table? Perhaps it holds a truth you desperately need. The child who interrupts to ask that you look at yet another scraggly leaf she’s found in the yard? Maybe that’s the moment she realizes you’re the one with whom she always wants to share her secrets and treasures.  


As women we often get so caught up in doing that we may forget about being. I made this mistake, and I can’t have the moments back. But you—you have the moments right there, right in front of you! I encourage you to take time to be, to really see, to get caught up in the moment, to slow down. Your soul won’t be sorry!


Love,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment